Thenamaris Launches Safety Starts with ME Program
Within the scope of our strategic objective to enhance the company’s safety performance, Thenamaris has decided to embark on a Safety Culture Development Program in collaboration with the marine consultancy Green-Jakobsen. This Program has been named “Safety Starts with ME” to emphasize the importance of the personal contribution each and every one at Thenamaris has when it comes to safety.
This effort to further enhance our safety culture is significant in terms of its scale: the Program will run for the next two years, will consist of multiple cross-departmental projects, and will involve all shore-based employees and all seafarers in the Thenamaris pool.
The Program’s goal is to provide every individual with an understanding of the company’s safety standards and safety aspiration, as well as with the necessary direction, training and tools to achieve these. Specifically, the Program will focus on the following areas:
- Communication and awareness: Continuously communicating safety focus points, progress and good safety practices will ensure a high level of awareness on safety matters.
- Learning and development: Safety skills are best taught at the workplace. New means of learning during peer-to-peer training will engage managers, officers, shore employees and seafarers.
- Performance management: Safety performance management supports the development of individual performance through assessment and guidance towards a set standard.
- Measurement and monitoring: Monitoring the general level of safety competence, observed safety performance, employee engagement, and overall level of behavioral change provides information about the organizational capability to nurture safe work practices.
As a first step of the Safety Starts with ME Program, we have developed the Thenamaris safety strategy that will guide all our safety-related efforts for the coming years. The safety strategy includes our Safety Vision, and our Safety Charter which describes the safety behaviors the company wishes to encourage in order to take our safety performance to the next level.
To ensure that the Safety Vision and the safety behaviors are understood and embraced by everyone, both on board and on shore, Safety Starts with ME workshops took place in the Thenamaris office, on all Thenamaris-managed vessels, in Thenamaris Philippines, and in the manning agency in Varna, between April and June 2015.
All seafarers in the Thenamaris pool and all Thenamaris shore-based employees participated in the Safety Starts with ME workshops. Moving forward, every individual will also be involved in the Safety Culture Development Program in several other ways, including by:
- Attending training related to safety leadership and to other safety-related areas, such as risk management.
- Being accountable for their own safety performance and being recognized and acknowledged for good safety behavior.
- Being evaluated, and receiving coaching and feedback, related to their safety behavior.
To achieve a world-class safety culture, it is critical that each and every one at Thenamaris contributes through behaviors and actions in our daily work. The Safety Starts with ME Program aspires to strengthen our everyday safety behaviors and mind-set, and thus achieve a higher level of safety maturity.