Thenamaris awarded the ISO 50001 certification on Energy Management
Over the past several years Thenamaris has been undertaking an intensive Energy Management program that has led to significant savings in fuel consumption and reduction of CO2 emissions. Noteworthy efforts include:
- The early adoption of slow steaming
- The installation of Mewis Duct® on the managed vessels
- The use of fouling release coatings on propellers
- The retrofit of conventional engines with the MAN EcoCam
- The application of Variable Frequency Drive technology on selected electric motors
Consistent with the company’s strategic objective of Operational Excellence, in 2014 Thenamaris was accredited with the ISO 50001 certification on Energy Management. The ISO 50001 standard refers to energy efficiency management systems and was first published in July 2011 by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Prior to being certified in this new standard, in 1999 Thenamaris was accredited with the ISO 14001 standard for its environmental management systems.
The ISO 50001 is a voluntary international standard applicable to all types of industry and businesses. For shipping companies, it includes the energy management systems both on board the vessels as well as on shore.
In accordance with the ISO 50001 standard, Thenamaris has established an Energy Management System (EnMS) that has been incorporated it within its wider Safety, Quality & Environmental Management System that also includes ISM, ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001. Within the scope of the ISO 50001 EnMS, Thenamaris has:
- Articulated an Energy Policy within its existing HSSQE Policy
- Carried out an energy review to identify opportunities for improving energy performance
- Determined its energy baseline, which is the period since the company started to collect data on fuel consumption
- Defined four Energy Performance Indicators that describe and measure its energy performance
- Developed an energy-related plan with concrete objectives, responsibilities and targets
- Implemented a quarterly top management review to ensure the continuing suitability, adequacy and effectiveness of its EnMS
These various energy management initiatives help conserve fossil fuels and reduce the carbon footprint of the company’s business in the global environment in which it operates. Also, by implementing an EnMS as required by the ISO 50001 a company can save significantly in energy consumption. Finally, Thenamaris’ ISO 50001 certification demonstrates the company’s commitment to continuously improving the energy efficiency of its activities going forward.